- Simplicity throughout Form, structure, systems.
- Clarity/Honesty Clear, honest expression of function and structure.
- Functionality, Stability and Beauty.
- Integral Design Throughout Materials, details, motifs, patterns.
- Indoor/Outdoor Relationship Seamless transition between in/out.
- Flexibility Mobility, adaptability, changeability, expandability.
- Color From the site/nature and maybe Client's favorite color.
- Relation to Nature love of nature, stars, sun, moon.
- Site Specific Harmonious w/ site and Client needs.
- Life Priority Human and pet scale, proportions, needs.
- Sustainability Passive solar, conservation of resources/utilities.
- Screen Walls Screens defining space, not confining. No boxes!
- Balance of Contrasts Soft/hard, straight/curved, yin/yang.
- Work of Art Expressive as a complete work of art lifting the spirit.
- Timeless Ageless & respected by its universality & logic.
- Freedom Free from "handcuffs" of styles/historical references.
- Creativity Creative & unique design solutions and use of materials.
- Sense of Shelter Broad overhangs provide protection.
- Intelligence Rational, thoughtful, useful, reasoned design.
- Joyful Design brings positive, warm, cheerful feelings.
- Respectful Respectful of context, history and privacy.
- Friendly Welcoming/inviting.
- Technology Use of current infrastructure and "smart" technology.
- Metaphor Elements/details express design ideas.
- Furniture Harmonize w/ the design and free-standing for flexibility.
- Low Maintenance Easy to maintain and clean for better hygiene.
- Informal Orderly space and structure but also casual.
- Organic Modern Design The design grows naturally.
- Inspiration Design inspired by the world's greatest architects!
My Design Principles
The Reverent Act of
Constructing a Building
The Importance of Travel
What Modern Architecture
Means to Me